"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly." J.R.R. Tolkien

5.29.2015

five favorite literary heroines

I just love talking about things like this. Hopefully you enjoy hearing about them.  I could go on and on about books  + their complex characters allllll day long.  There's so much to ramble about, fangirl over, swoon over (basically the same thing)...  Motives to discuss, characters to dissect - it's fascinating.  So I am super, super excited to discuss some of my fave heroines today!!!  Let's jump right in.

~ 1 ~
Anne Shirley


(if you know me, you knew this was coming...)   I just love her to death.  That series is what I grew up on, I own all eight books and have read them a gazillion times.  definitely a childhood favorite.    

But why do I love Anne?  I just adore her bright, energetic personality, her love for the little things in life, her a.m.a.z.i.n.g. imagination, her sympathy and kindness for those around her, her passion for nature and its golden sunsets and poetic beauty... the way she just puts everything she has into what's she's doing. No coldness and reserve, but love and warmth and energy.  One of my favorite quotes by her is when she says,

"I'd like to add some beauty to life.  I don't exactly what to make people KNOW more... though that IS the noblest ambition... but I'd love to make them have a pleasanter time because of me... to have some little joy or happy thought that would never have existed if I hadn't been born."  (Anne's House of Dreams

That quote has kinda become one of my mottoes.  Because I too want to spread joy and love and make a positive difference in people's lives... It's just - it's like the inmost desire deep down in the bottom of my heart, you know?  Anne expresses it so well.  And she totally lives it too.  Wherever she goes she just seems to leave smiles on people's faces, and happy thoughts in their minds. gosh I really just want to do that too.

isn't she just too cute?? *dies*

Of course Anne has her flaws as well, such as being too idealistic sometimes *coughPrinceCharmingexpectationscough* and her temper and such... but we've all got our faults. She wouldn't be real without them.  And she's just such a beautiful soul.  I've always wanted to be more like her, and if I could meet a literary character in real life, Anne would be the one.  Wouldn't she be amazing to have as a friend??


~ 2 ~
Elizabeth Bennet

looks at those "fine eyes"... seriously.

Ha. I'm a lot like her. (NOT in looks. In personality I meant.)  Quick to judge other people and form opinions. "oh look at them. aren't they snobbish."  whoops.  it's not good.  I'm trying hard not to be so judgmental and I think it's getting better. Trying to think kindly of everyone like Jane.

But I just love Lizzy.  Her liveliness, sense of humor, oh yes and intelligence.  (speaking of similarities, the whole thing about her family and her embarrassment over them never acting as they should... I can relate so much. can't we all to some extent though!?!

The way Lizzy grows through the novel is fantastic. How she comes to realize that her first opinions of some people were not correct, but actually opposite the person's true nature (Wickham + Darcy, yes).  Her character really matures and deepens.

oh and of course another reason why I love Lizzy is because MR. DARCY of course. You know.  how can you not swoon every time is what I'd like to know.  oh my gosh, just look at him. ok moving on. 


So anyway, Lizzy is fab for lots of reasons.

Oh and we both like to walk around outside and read while we're strolling. #boom #twinsies




~ 3 ~
Emma Woodhouse


I can't really go on without mentioning another Austen heroine of course. Emma is kind of like THE emblem of my senior year in a way, because I wrote my literature thesis about her.  So yes there's lots to say.  the problem is how to condense the ideas from an 8-page paper into just a few paragraphs... this is hard. 

My favorite thing about Emma is her profound character transformation. And the really cool thing is, it all begins with self-knowledge.  At the beginning of the story, Emma is vain and bossy - basically she thinks she can run everyone's lives and marry them all off happily.  She thinks she's not in need of any change, is oblivious to her selfish qualities, doesn't see the ill effects her meddling has, and really isn't even conscious of many of her own thoughts and feelings.  Heck, she doesn't even know her own heart. 

But then as the story progresses, she starts discovering how blind she has been.   like when Mr. Elton proposes to HER instead of Harriet like he's supposed to, Emma is completely shocked. (also, epitome of #awkward, yes)   And then of course it's all topped by Harriet declaring to love, not Frank Churchhill as Emma supposed, but Mr. Knightley (and we all know he's off limits of course).  THEN Emma finally sees her own heart and realizes how improperly + irrationally she's been acting.  

I found it really, really fascinating how this story demonstrates the truth that growth in virtue begins with knowledge of self.  Like how Socrates said, "the unexamined life is not worth living" and his famous phrase "Know Thyself."  It's not until Emma actually knows herself, and stops to reflect on her own heart, that she is capable of changing and becoming a better person.

When you look at the Emma at the end of the book, you see a woman with so much more kindness, humility, and prudence.  You see someone who is able to admit her mistakes (maybe it IS alright if Harriet marries Robert Martin...), apologize for them (going to say sorry to Miss Bates was SO heroic), overcome her vanity, and be content to not interfere but let others live their own lives.

 It's just amazing the transformation.  She really is like a new person.


So anyway. I love love love Emma.  

Oh and MR. KNIGHTLEY.  No I don't have time that would make this much too long...

(and can you tell there's an Austen fanatic right here??)



~ 4 ~
Eowyn


Now let's jump to a completely different kind of character.  from Lord of the Rings of course.  

Eowyn.  She is so full of strength and love, and she'll fight to the death for those dear to her.  She has passion and spirit.  Even though she disguises herself as a man to go into battle and then ends up saving her father, she's still so feminine, you know?  And so beautiful. (also can we just admire her dress please.)  (also I had too many pictures I wanted to use and I didn't want to leave any out, so you're welcome.)



I feel like this one with the sword just captures so much about her character.  Her resourcefulness. Bravery.  And look at her hair. it. is. perfection.


So yes, Eowyn is amazing.  Even when her heart is breaking, she just has such courage. You can see the pain in her eyes.  Yet she comes through it all. She grows, and she loves.


~ 5 ~
Polly Milton


Well you probably knew this one was coming too. *grins*  (quick side note: I don't know of any good movies of An Old Fashioned Girl.  Are there any?  You'll have to let me know.) 

So you're most likely aware that Polly is one of my role models.  I've posted this quote before that she said: "I just try to look on the bright side of things; that helps one amazingly.  Why, you've no idea how much goodness and sunshine you can get out of the most unpromising things, it you make the best of them." 

She's so full of that inspiring, cheerful optimism.  It's really astounding the good influence she has on so many people.  When I read about her, I just want to go out and spread love like she does.  Help those who need help.  Work hard.  Be diligent.  Stand up for what is right.

There's this one conversation she has with Miss Mills that's so good.  Polly says frankly, "To tell the truth, I'm afraid of being laughing at, if I try to talk seriously about such things to the girls." Miss Mills says, "You believe that 'such things' are true? You are sincere in your wish to help better them, and you respect those who work for that end?"
"Yes, I do."
"Then, my dear, can't you bear a little ridicule for the sake of a good cause?  You said yesterday that you were going to make it a principle of your life, to help up your sex as far and as fast as you could.  It did my heart good to hear you say it, for I was sure that in time you would keep your word.  But, Polly, a principle that can't bear being laughed at, frowned on, and cold-shouldered, isn't worthy of the name.

This book just contains such beautiful, old-fashioned truth and it's so inspiring to see Polly living it out.  I love her sweet personality, thoughtfulness, and courage too.  Because sometimes courage isn't picking up a sword and going out to fight the enemy in battle, but rather overcoming yourself in the little things. It takes courage to really stand up for what you believe in, especially when you're afraid of ridicule.  Polly's such an amazing character and I can just learn from her everyday.

//

Well, that brings my "five favorites" post to a close.  I can't tell you how much fun I had writing this - it was a blast.  And I'm sure after I click the publish button I'll think of plenty more literary heroines I should have  talked about, but these were the first five that came to mind.  I'll also probably realize a thousand other things I should have mentioned about these heroines, but oh well. 

Isn't it amazing how much there is to say about books. This just barely scratches the surface. 

14 comments:

  1. Yes. xD I love the pictures you chose, I was fangirling all through. Anne is cute, Elizabeth is cute, Mr Darcy is dashingly cute, Eowyn is fiercely cute, Polly is cute...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they all the cutest?? <333 I was fangirling the whole time I was writing the post and looking through the pictures. :D

      Delete
  2. Anne is one of my favorite characters as well! She's a lot like me, especially about the Mr. Perfect; gee, if my imagination keeps up along with high expectations there is no way I can find Mr. Right! Haha! :P I love Elizabeth Bennet too. I loved both portrayals of her in both movies, but whether they did justice to the book or not, I can't tell...

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Morning! Anne is just one of the best. <3 and haha I know, it's hard sometimes to stop the list of expectations from just growing longer and longer! :P
      I love the portrayals of Lizzie in both movie as well. I think they did a fantastic job. :)

      Delete
  3. I'm actually a LOT like Emma Woodhouse (and Lizze Bennett....like a traumatic combination of both. It's bad sometimes. Hopefully that means that my future spouse is going to be amazing though. ;)) ANYWAYS. Anne Shirley is so great; she's always been one of my absolute favorites. :) Loved this!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha OH MY GOSH THOUGH. Some kind of cross between Mr. Darcy and Mr. Knightley, that would be like... I have no words. The amazingness is beyond comprehension. I guess you're in for somethin' special. :)
      thanks so much!! <3

      Delete
  4. Aw, okay, this was fantastic. Whimsical but true. All of those heroines are so lovely... and have you seen the "Emma" with Gwyneth Paltrow? The Mr. Knightley is perfect. <3 God bless you, dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no, I haven't seen that Emma version yet! I will definitely have to! :) thank you so much, dear. <3

      Delete
  5. This post made me all kinds of happy. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw, I'm so glad. <3 You just made me happy.

      Delete
  6. Oh my gosh. This post. It has warmed the cockles of my wee heart! You have named some of my very favorites! But especially Anne and Polly! Those two books were probably my favorites when I was young -- they were so magical to me. Just like I wanted life to be! :) I also loved the "Five Little Peppers" series! Did you ever hear of those? Polly in that series is *just* like an Anne of Polly Milton! And I think there are 8 books in that series, too! Great post!
    Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, well your comment warmed the cockles of my wee heart too! Anne and Polly are so magical. :) Oh, oh, the Five Little Peppers! My mom read some of those books out loud to my brothers and I when we were little. I loved them! Especially Polly. <333 She was the girl I wanted for a sister. :)

      Delete
  7. OK! I just want to say, that recently I found a 1949 version of "An Old-Fashioned Girl" on YouTube and watched! It was really sweet. A condensed version of the book, it has all the charms of an old black and white film! It's really good. I highly suggest it. :)
    Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, I was finally able to watch the 1949 Old-Fashioned Girl! It really was the sweetest thing. <3 I love old black & white movies. :) thanks so much for the suggestion, I absolutely loved it.

      Delete