"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly." J.R.R. Tolkien

3.27.2015

Light Shines in the Darkness


_________________________

"The people who sat in darkness have seen a great light, 
and for those who sat in the region and shadow of death light has dawned." 
Matt. 3:16
_________________________

The world is so full of darkness.  So full of an absence of Christ and real true beauty.  Everywhere I turn I am confronted with the dark effects of sin.
Seems depressing, yes?

But it's not hopeless.

Christ told us He is the "Light of the World" and He meant it.  If we can draw together the courage to turn out backs to the world and our faces toward him, He will fill us with His light and peace. 

Sometimes the thought of that light makes us fearful.  Because light is revealing.  It will lay open our faults and shortcomings and mistakes.  It's so much easier to shy away from that uncomfortableness, from true examination of our souls.  It's so much easier to just retreat into darkness.

But Christ calls us forth. He calls us to follow Him.  To step out into the light, so that we don't just see everything as shadows, but see them as they truly are.  To let our souls be flooded with His light.  To first see ourselves through the eyes of truth, for "The unexamined life is not worth living." (Socrates).  And then to see the world around us with new eyes.  And finally to radiate his light and love to others. "The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it." (John 1:5)

I want to follow this light.  I want to simplify my life. To refocus.  Keep in mind what's actually important, and what's just trivial.  I want to live life to the fullest, and be the best version of myself as Matthew Kelly talks about.  And I've realized that to do that, I have to always have Jesus as my #1 priority.  It just doesn't work any other way.  The world cannot satisfy all my yearning for happiness and fulfillment - only Jesus can.  And so I must "follow the light unflinchingly."  Will you join me?

______________________________

"...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: 
there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
J.R.R. Tolkien
_____________________________

10 comments:

  1. Chills. Just chills. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is epic, and your new blog is lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH KATHRYN. This is lovely + so true + to be completely honest! made me tear up a great deal. I am so often afraid of the light, but no no...there is no reason for that.

    Can't wait to see where this blog goes. It's amazing already.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! And your new design!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love love love love love. So much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful and heart wrenching. So true. I love this new blog so much - and you too. <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Kathryn! It's absolutely lovely...so elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the sweet comments, everyone! It means so much to me. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Even the smallest person can change the course of the future."

    ReplyDelete